Last week I spoke at the Oklahoma State University Spears School of Business to their undergraduate students. After the presentation, I had many students come up to ask one-on-one questions – which were really well thought out and awesome! One of the young ladies asked about wearing hosiery, aka “stockings” to an interview, and if it was a ‘must’, or a ‘deal-breaker’ if she didn’t.
Coming from a Millennial, her question caught me a bit off guard. Other than the trend of tights during winter months, I tend to associate hosiery more with the Boomer crowd. Sorry, no offense to the Boomers out there!
I believe instead of being a rule of Etiquette or Protocol, it has evolved into something much more complicated. I personally think it boils down to a number of things:
- Generational issues – Your Grandmother would not even consider stepping out in public with bare legs. Stockings are a must for her wardrobe!
- Are your legs able to stand on their own without the gentle camouflage or support that stockings provide?
- Time of year – will your legs have goose bumps and be pasty … Summer – not a problem. Winter, bleh – opt for tights.
- Flat out preference – Some people feel more confident WITH stockings, other people can’t stand them.
- And last but not least: Depends on what company you will be keeping…. If you’re with a more ‘mature’ (meaning older) group, then out of respect I would don hosiery.
My answer to her in the end was to do a bit of research. As she’s preparing for her interview and researching the company, go ahead and find out what the company culture is when it comes to dress code; and let that be her guide. And if there is any question, it’s best to err on the safe side and slip on some stockings.
And we can thank Kate Middleton for making tights look oh so chic!
Passport (9-12th Grade) Program
Our High School events begin soon – don’t miss out!
- The Interview Intensive begins in October, click here for more information: https://www.expeditionsinetiquette.com/interview-intensive-10-12th-grades
- Passport (9-12th Grade) Program registration online via: https://www.expeditionsinetiquette.com/passport-high-school-registration
Business Etiquette Lunch Workshops
Lunch workshops are a great way to grab a fantastic meal, meet new people in an fun and nonthreatening environment AND learn something at the same time!
Join us for a workshop:
- Tuesday, October 21, Quail Creek
- Tuesday, November 18, Gaillardia (Social Etiquette – preparing for the Holidays)
Have you seen the Music Video? Our Student Ambassadors came up with the idea, wrote the lyrics, arranged for the soundtrack recording, I helped arrange the videographer… they did the rest all themselves! Pretty creative bunch of kids!!!
Don’t forget to watch through to the end for the bloopers!
Business Etiquette Training and other Workshops
Would you like to schedule a workshop or presentation?
I have a variety of workshops that can be customized to fit your needs and would love to work with your organization, please call or email for more information, 405-721-1467 or CareySue@CareySueVega.com
Here are just a few of the workshop topics:
- Etiquette and the Generations – understanding ‘those guys’
- Creating a Great Customer Service Experience
- Business Etiquette and Professionalism – Navigating Lunch and Networking Events
- First and Lasting Impressions
- Professional Dress
As always, thanks for reading!
– Carey Sue